This pattern is being offered free to the public for creation purposes. Selling this pattern is strictly prohibited, altering or modifying this pattern for distribution purposes is strictly prohibited. This does not mean you cannot change the pattern for your own personal use! You may not change the pattern to distribute or share/claim it as your own in yours or any other community, website or any other venue. Whatever you choose to do with your end product is your choice. There was a lot of time and effort that went into creating this pattern to make available free to the public. If you plan on sharing this pattern with your community, members or friends, please refer to the original designer of this pattern Colleen Hays with YarnWars.com. Thank you so much!
–J hook is used in video tutorial and creates approx 5 x 5” granny but any size hook is fine and will alter final square size. (M hook produces approx 7 x 7” square.)
-Yarn – Again, your choice of yarn for whatever project you are working. Cotton is the best choice if you are making hot pads or coasters.
Hdc – Half Double Crochet (Yarn over, insert hook into stitch, pull yarn through, yarn over, pull through all 3 loops on hook.)
Dc – Double Crochet (Yarn over, Insert hook into stitch, yarn over, pull yarn through stitch, yarn over pull through 2, yarn over pull through last 2 stitches on hook.)
Sl st – Slip Stitch (Insert hook into stitch, yarn over, pull yarn through, continue to pull yarn through both loops on hook.)
HPS – Heart Puff Stitch
(Yarn over, insert hook into stitch, yarn over, pull through (you will have 3 loops on hook.)
Yarn over again, insert hook into same stitch, yarn over & pull through (you will now have 5 loops on your hook)
Yarn over one last time, insert hook into same stitch, yarn over & pull through (you now have 7 loops on your hook). Yarn over, pull through all 7 loops on hook. Ch 1 and repeat the puff stitch once more into that same stitch, ending with ch 1. Click here for video section on HPS
Work a magic circle (alternative: chain 4, join with slip stitch to 1st ch to form circle)
- Ch 1, 8 hdc into circle. Join to 1st hdc made (8)
- Ch 1, work 2 hdc into same as chain space, increase into each stitch to end. Join with slip st to 1st hdc made, slip st into next stitch as well. (16)
- Join new color, ch 2. HPS into same as chain space, ch 1, skip next stitch, *HPS into next stitch, ch 1*, repeat ** to end, join with sl st into 1st st, slip stitch into center of 1st HPS. (Note: The ch 1 at the end of each repeat is in addition to the ch 1 you will make at the end of each completed HPS.)
- (Choice of new color join.) Ch 2, HPS into same as chain space (which will be center of previous HPS), ch 1, work HPS into center of next HPS from last round. Into next chain space following HPS, work the following: 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc (this is the 1st corner). *HPS into next HPS center, ch 1, HPS into next HPS center, work 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc into next chain space* to create 2nd corner. Repeat ** 2 more times then join to 1st st from beginning of round. (You will now have your 4 corners)
- (Choice of new color join.) Ch 2, dc in same as join sp, 2 dc in center of nxt HPS, 2 dc in next ch sp, 2 dc into center of next HPS, 1 dc into ea of the 2 st before your 1st corner, into corner work 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc. Continue working dc into ea st in same pattern as we have to end of round. Remember that each HPS will have 2 dc in center and each chain space will have 2 dc in them. Join at end to top of 1st dc made. Finish off.
OPTIONAL: For border, you can work sc, hdc, or as we have made, dc. You just want to make sure to work your corners with 2ch in between stitches to keep your square shape.
I hope you enjoy the Heart to Heart Granny Square pattern!
Remember, you can alter the size of your square simply by hook size and yarn weight.
You will quickly learn how super fast and easy this square is to work up along with the charm of it’s design.
If you have enjoyed this pattern, please let your friends know where they can find this along with many other FREE patterns available at YarnWars.com! Don’t forget to register while you’re here to be the first to know when a new pattern or contest comes around!
I would also love to invite you to join us and show us how your granny square turned out in our YarnWars Facebook group. You will be joining a community of over 28,000 members from around the world! You will meet so many supportive, wonderful, creative members, make new friends and find many free patterns as well! Our group also offers all of YarnWars free patterns in downloadable / printable format in our Files section.
Check out my Youtube channel for full FREE pattern walkthroughs! Most of the patterns I design, I also create tutorials for, so make sure to subscribe while you’re there so you can be alerted to new uploads of fun FREE crochet and knit projects!
Thanks so much for your interest in my pattern! It’s always a pleasure creating and sharing with all of you and I hope you will stay tuned for more to come soon!
Happy yarning my dear friends!