Hip to Be Square
Water Bottle Cozy Free Crochet Pattern
This fun water bottle cozy pattern can be worn on the hip or over the shoulder! Get creative, get color crazy!! and be hip with this perfectly easy multi-season water bottle holder! FULL VIDEO TUTORIAL AVAILABLE!!
Techniques Used in this Pattern:
Mc – Magic circle
Sc – Single crochet
Hdc – Half double crochet
Ch – Chain
Square Cluster: (See picture diagram below- step by step, left to right)
Yo (yarn over), insert hook into stitch, yo, pull through. Yo, pull through 2 strands, Yo, go into same stitch, pull through, yo, pull through 2 more strands on hook, Yo for a 3rd and final time into same stitch, pull through, pull through 2 more strands on hook, you will have 4 strands of yarn on hook – Yo, pull through 2 strands, Yo, pull through 2 more strands, Yo, pull through last 2 strands on hook. You will have 1 strand on hook, insert hook in between 1st 2 stitches of cluster, yarn over, pull through and make a sc, repeat once more to make 1 more sc between last 2 stitches in cluster.
Work rounds 1 through 4 for small water bottles or 1 through 5 for larger water bottles of the cozy base.
*(Note)* In order to create a seamless base, one that you won’t be able to see your start in, the beginning of each round, your ch 1 and hdc into your ch 1 space is for a blind join. You will end each round by joining into your 1st hdc, rather than joining to the top of your ch 1. Because of this, you will not count your hdc into your ch 1 space in the beginning of each round as a stitch.
- Mc, ch 1, 8 hdc into circle, join to top of 1st hdc
- Ch 1, 1 hdc into same as ch 1, 2 hdc into ea hdc around, join to top of 1st hdc (Again, as noted above, we are not counting the 1st hdc or the ch 1 as a st in this, the 1st hdc in our ch 1 space in the beginning is our blind join st) (16)
- Ch 1, 1 hdc into same as ch 1, 1 hdc in 1st hdc, inc in nxt, *1 hdc in nxt, inc in nxt* repeat ** around to end, join to 1st hdc (24)
- Ch 1, 1 hdc into same as ch 1, 1 hdc in 1st 2 hdc, inc in nxt, *1 hdc in nxt 2 hdc, inc in nxt*, repeat ** around to end, join to 1st hdc (32)
(This round ends a smaller water bottle size. Work round 5 for larger water bottle.)
- Ch 1, 1 hdc into same as ch 1, 1 hdc in 1st 3 hdc, inc in nxt, *1 hdc in nxt 2 hdc, inc in nxt*, repeat ** around to end, join to 1st hdc (40)
You have completed the base of your bottle cozy. This should be large enough for the bigger water bottles, however, if you find that it is not, go ahead and continue in the pattern above once more, by working 1 hdc in 1st 4 hdc then inc in nxt for a round 6 of the base.
- Ch 1, turn, work 1 sc into same as ch 1, work 1 sc into ea st around. Turn
- Ch 3, skip 1st st, hdc into nxt, ch 1, *skip nxt st, hdc in nxt, ch 1*. Repeat ** to end, join.
- Ch 2, work square cluster into 1st chain space (ch sp), ch 1, *skip next ch sp, work square cluster into nxt ch sp, ch 1*, repeat ** to end, ending with ch 1 and join to top of cluster beginning.
- Ch 3, work hdc into nxt ch 1 sp (between clusters), ch 3 *hdc in next ch sp, ch 3*, repeat ** to end, ending with ch 3 and join with slip into 1st ch 3 of round.
- Repeat rounds 8 and 9 until you have reached your desired height. For mine, I worked a total of 7 square cluster rows. End with round 8
- Ch 1, slip st into ea stitch around including each ch 1 space to end, join.
- Ch 5, pulling a tighter chain after each chain made, work a hdc into the 1st chain space from your last round 8 before your slip stitch round. Turn
- Ch 2, work square cluster into that chain 5, turn, Ch 2, work a square cluster on top of previous square cluster, working into stitches rather than into a chain, turn, chain 2, make square cluster on top of previous cluster.
Continue in this fashion until you reach your desired length. If making as a hip carrier, make your strap approx 4 – 5 clusters in length or approx 3” – 4” long, then attach with 3 slip stitches across the length of the cluster to the mid side of bag.
If making shoulder length strap, I made mine approximately 20” in length, then attached to bottom side of bag with 3 slip stitches.
You can alternately work the same pattern as you did for the cozy itself for your strap, working a chain 3 with a slip join to the end of the previous cluster post in between each of your square clusters, and then just working your clusters into your chains rather than on top of the previous cluster.
…. VOILA! ….
You have now completed the Hip to Be Square Crochet Water Bottle Cozy!
Thank you so much for your interest in my pattern!
As with all of my other patterns:
This pattern is being offered free to the public for creation purposes.
Selling this pattern is strictly prohibited, altering or modifying this pattern for distribution purposes is strictly prohibited, this does not mean you cannot change the pattern for your own personal use! You may not change the pattern to distribute or share it as your own in your community or any other venue. Whatever you choose to do with your end product is your choice. There was a lot of time and effort that went into creating this pattern to make available free to the public. If you plan on sharing this pattern with your group, members or friends please refer to the link to YarnWars.com with the following: http://www.yarnwars.com as the original designer of this pattern.
Make sure you join us on our Facebook YarnWars Group to share your creations!
I’d also like to invite you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to work up some other fun free crochet patterns with me!